Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 10 and 11 of Jim Wyse's hunger strike diary

Day 10

Green Isle Hunger Strike Diary – Day Ten

We had a good night’s rest for a change. I slept from 11pm until about 7am. I freshened up and met with some people gathering for the march. John Guinan took me up. He’s the designated driver and minder now.

I met all the family and friends. My four sons and daughter Rebecca were there and all the grand children, brothers, sister, in-laws, nephews and nieces. There was a great crowd of supporters. I met people who came up from Cork, a group of Post Office workers and the crowd of supporters from Wyeth. It was a great march and we were blessed with great weather.

I didn’t feel well enough for walking. Declan Shannon brought me down to Green Isle in the Jeep at the head of the march. There was a security cordon. At that stage I got out and walked down to the gate and everyone else came down. It was peaceful and dignified and we went back for the rally to the main entrance at the gate.
When you see a lot of people like that it gives you a lift, although I was not well enough to speak. John spoke for both us and spoke very well.

We have had plenty of visitors afterwards but I managed to snatch a bit of a nap.

I am down about a stone and a quarter in weight. Everything is good except the energy levels are low all the time now. I don’t think they will get back up while I’m on hunger strike.


Day 11

Green Isle Hunger Strike Diary – Day Eleven

We were up late enough last night and didn’t get to bed until about 1am with visits and calls. Then John and me spent a lot of time chatting. The talk always seemed to get back to food for some reason.

We slept well but I woke up a number of times with the cold. My feet were very cold. That wasn’t a problem before, even though the temperatures were lower.

We found there was a bit of condensation forming and the bottom of the mattress is getting damp. There is a formica base that is trapping the moisture. We are going to have to air the mattress and the caravan today.

It was quiet this morning but we expect friends and family to visit in the afternoon.

Physically I still feel a bit down energy wise, much the same as yesterday. I think this is the way it’s going to be from now on.

I get a queasy feeling. It’s hard to describe but it isn’t normal.

I find I am more relaxed when it is quiet and I am just sitting here. I usually have a lot of things going on in my mind when I’m not active, but maybe this is part of my body adjusting.

1 comment:

  1. It is vital That Gerry Adams give this protest airtime at is Ard Fheis Speech.

    ReplyDelete